How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3791
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Florida resident employed in 2011 by a California

Customer Question

I am a Florida resident employed in 2011 by a California company. I worked in Florida and traveled on behalf of the company as a sales executive. I recently purchased a home in florida and received notice from California that they were claiming I owed California income taxes. They have now filed a lien against me and it has hit my credit report. How can I convince them I do not owe taxes in California.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Non-residents of CA are taxed on CA source income.


Wages and salaries have a source where the services are performed. The source of this income is not affected by either of the following:

  • The location of the employer where the payment is issued
  • Your location when you receive payment

Residents - Include all wages and salaries earned while a resident, regardless of where the services were performed.

Nonresidents - Include the income for services performed in California.

If none of the services were performed by you in CA, you do not owe taxes to CA.

My best advice would be to contact a CPA or Enrolled Agent who can intercede on your behalf with CA.

Please know that CA is one of the most greedy and aggressive states when it thinks it is owed taxes.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,