Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We deducted funds from a 529 account last year but did not

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hello. What is your...
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: We deducted funds from a 529 account last year but did not incur the college expenses until this year. Please advise
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/17/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What did you use the funds for, if not for college expenses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We deducted them too early.

Do you mean to took a distribution last year but did not use it for college expenses? That can be a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We took it last year thinking we would need to start paying our daughter's tuition then. But the payments did not become due until this year.

Ok. When did you take the distribution? In December or earlier?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checking the date
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My accountant says "end of year". I have asked if she can be more specific. I am waiting for her response.

If it is one or two month before you paid the tuition and you did not have any other distribution for that semester, you can still argue that you used it to pay the tuition and college related expenses. But if it is more than one semester, than you will have a hard time to convince the IRS.

In the worst case scenario you will have to include the earnings, not the entire distribution in your taxable income and claim the entire credit next year.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney