Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question about my taxses, I got a bonus -- it was

Customer Question
i have a question about...
i have a question about my taxses
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I got a bonus -- it was made as a separate check, not added into my regular check. i believe this makes it "supplemental income" and therefore eligible for the flat 25% tax rate. Is this correct?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I have a copy of the check, again separate from my regular wages. However, on the w2 they lumped everything together. So I want to know -- isn't the bonus still supplemental income no matter how they did the w2. Or was it there error to write the w2 with total income,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/17/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You will not get w2s for the same job. Your W2 will show your total annual income. The 25% flat rate only applies to the withholding not actual tax rate. Your bonus, along with your other wages will be added to your other income and taxed according to you tax bracket.

Does it make sense? Withholding rate does not determine your actual tax rate. Withholding is just an estimate, a prepayment of your tax liability.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney