How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12695
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just did a tax return for a client where it appears he has

This answer was rated:

I just did a tax return for a client where it appears he has inaccurate or unrealistic mileage expense. I have to file his taxes today. He sent me his mileage figures. I suspect he is counting mileabe for his job (W2) oi with his Sch C business miles. I can ask him to correct his figures. Would it be wrong if I were to suggest his mileage is too high., and suggest he bring it donw to a level where his business is not showing a huhhe loss? Could I just cap his miles as too hight with his OK.?

It really need to come from the client. I would word smith things a little differently in the record I keep in his file.


( maybe noting that you discussed the miles with the client and uponr your educating him of the commuting dis-allowance, he changed the number to X)


Might be as simple as asking him far the trip to and back home from work is and then multiplying by 52 x 5, (assuming he works 5 days a week every week, may need to adjust of course)


Then subtracting that from the mileage figure. If there ever Were an audit, you'd be in better stead having some rationale for the reduction

Did that help Dave? Do you need more here?


let me know



Lane and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you