taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
74656765

Prajapati, I payed $85 dollars yesterday in online for itin.

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My name is ***** *****
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I payed $85 dollars yesterday in online for itin .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Yeah i need itin letter for irs please
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need itin letter for irs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  taxmanrog replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Who did you pay the $85 dollars to? Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) are not available online. You have to fill out a Form W-7, provide original documentation such as passports and birth certificates, and file it with a tax return with the IRS office in Austin, TX. You can no longer just mail in the Forms without a tax return attached. The IRS requires a valid reason to obtain an ITIN, and the attached tax return provides that reason.

You can go to an Authorized Acceptance Agent (our firm has one) who can review the documents and certify them to speed up the process a bit. You can also bring the Form W-7 with the Form 1040 to a local IRS office where they can review and accept your documentation. I just went this route with a client myself. He did not want to send in his child's passports, so he brought them to the local IRS office to review.

I am not aware of the IRS requiring an ITIN letter, as they are the organization that issues them. What do you need the letter for?

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I payed online is website on online. And I got email for them after I paid.but I need ITIN letter from IRS. Because I want to proof I am living in Washington state.

As I stated before, there are no legitimate websites that would provide you with an ITIN. This requires paper documentation that is filed with the IRS. Who do you need to prove residency to? The IRS usually will not provide letters proving residency in any cases. I am not sure who told you that they do, but in my 30+ years I have never seen that, and I work with many US nationals working outside of the US , and many foreign nationals who are working in the US. I have assisted dozens of clients obtain ITINs. I have never seen any online service to that. I am afraid you may have been swindled.

I am sorry to be the one to tell you.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want make driving lessons in Washington state but I need ITIN letter from IRS .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want proof.

As I stated, the IRS will not issue a letter as you would like. Perhaps you could go to the local IRS office (they have one in most of the larger cities in WA state) they may be able to help you. But generally they stay out of this kind of situation.

IF you are requesting an ITIN, then I am assuming that you are not a US citizen. In that case, WA state accepts as proof of residency

• Immigration ID with signature — Valid, from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, with:
    • Your signature and photo and are identifiable (I-327, I-551, I-571, I-766).
    • or
    • A “Signature Waived” notation or encrypted signature on the back of the card.

On the WA State Licensing website (http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html) they list many documents that are accepted. They have one category listed as "stand alone" (from which I took the above information), or two documents from Table A, or one document each from Table A and Table B. I looked through all of the documents that they accept, and no where does it ask for a letter from the IRS regarding your ITIN number.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But I payed online $85 yesterday
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you think my $85 dollars somebody stole?

The only time that the IRS will get involved in providing proof of residency is if you are living in the United States and claiming a treaty benefit with a foreign country for tax purposes. In that case, the IRS will reply to a Form 8802, Application for United States Residency Certification that you file. There is a user fee for this. After payment, the IRS will issue a Form 6601, Certificate of Residency, but this is only good for the foreign country that we have a tax treaty with.

The user fee is $85. I am guessing that you applied for this Certification, but it takes several weeks and is only good for foreign tax purposes. I don't think that the State of WA will accept it, as they are not a foreign country that we have a tax treaty with.

Did you pay the $85 to the IRS?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Www.itinformw7.com***@******.***

The instructions for the Form 8802 state that certification is available for the following:

Purpose of Form

Form 8802 is used to request Form 6166, a letter of U.S. residency certification for purposes of claiming benefits under an income tax treaty or VAT exemption. You cannot use Form 6166 to substantiate that U.S. taxes were paid for purposes of claiming a foreign tax credit.

You cannot claim a foreign tax credit to reduce your U.S. tax liability with respect to foreign taxes that have been reduced or eliminated by reason of a treaty. If you receive a refund of foreign taxes paid with the benefit of Form 6166, you may need to file an amended return with the IRS adjusting any foreign tax credits previously claimed for those taxes.

Who Is Eligible for Form 6166

In general, under an income tax treaty, an individual or entity is a resident of the United States if the individual or entity is subject to U.S. tax by reason of residence, citizenship, place of incorporation, or other similar criteria. U.S. residents are subject to tax in the United States on their worldwide income. An entity may be considered subject to tax on its worldwide income even if it is statutorily exempt from tax, such as a pension fund or charity. Similarly, individuals are considered subject to tax even if their income is less than the amount that would require that they file an income tax return.

In general, Form 6166 is issued only when the IRS can verify that for the year for which certification is requested one of the following applies:

• You filed an appropriate income tax return (for example, Form 1120 for a domestic corporation),

• In the case of a certification year for which a return is not yet due, you filed a return for the most recent year for which a return was due, or

• You are not required to file an income tax return for the tax period on which certification will be based and other documentation is provided.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what can I do ?

I just went to the website, and I think that you were taken advantage of. This website only helps you fill out the W-7 to get your ITIN. They then send it back to you with a list of the documents that you need to provide to the IRS. For those that need an ITIN, they can get the form for free from the IRS website, and the list of documents as well. They don't need to go to any website to pay for what they can do themselves for free.

Do you have an ITIN already? Or a SSN?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need TEX ID
I don't have nothing.
I have only my passport .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have Tex I'd or ssn

OK. For tax filing purposes you will need an ITIN, so the $85 you paid them is probably not wasted. However, what you paid for will not allow you to get a Washington driver's license (or any state for that matter).

The website I gave you gives you the list of docs you need to get your WA driver's license. Your immigration card/visa should allow you to get one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am immigrated in USA.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi I have one question, do charged me every time you gave me answers?

No, technically I am only supposed to answer your first question, but I don't mind. What is your question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks my friend I don't have any questions

Are you sure? It is no problem. I am just sitting here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I get ITIN ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you think I can get ITIN from IRS?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If you don't have answers it's okay no problem.

It is not difficult. You need to get a Form W-7, and complete it. It is available on the IRS' website. On the website, in the instructions for the Form W-7, there is a list of the documents that you need to get. Once you get them all together, set them aside until you are ready to prepare your 2016 tax return. Whether you do that with TurboTax, or you have some tax preparer do it, you will need to file it on paper (you can't electronically file it).

After it is done, all you do is attach the W-7 and the documentation to the front of your tax form, and either bring it in to a local IRS office (the best thing) or you mail the return to the IRS service center in Austin. I prefer bringing it in, otherwise you wind up mailing your original passport and other original documents to the IRS. You don't know when you might need them, or how long the IRS will take, or if they will lose them. So I don't like mailing them in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks I am very happy to talking with you.��

No problem! You are welcome!

If you ever have any questions, come back and ask for me.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks I will call you.

Thank you . Have a good week!

Hi! I was just following up to see if you have any questions. This question is still on my "open" list because you have not rated me yet. If you were satisfied with my services, please rate me highly. This will not change the fees that you paid, but it will close the question for me.

Thanks!