Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

It is not a tax question, but more of a new account question

Customer Question

It is not a tax question, but more of a new account question to see if money can be transfered from Ghana to Seattle, WA.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Theres a woman in Ghana who's father left her some money, but only if she gets married. I am her choice for husband and she says I have to open an account so the money can be sent to me or us.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No, I think that's about it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Of course you can set up a bank account at a bank, such as Bank of America or some other large bank close to you geographically that routinely deals with international wire transfers.

However, as a retired CPA with a great deal of experience in these matters, I must ask you how well do you know this woman?

There are many intricate "scams" out there, particularly involving crooks located in Ghana, that have a wide variety of fraudulent activity, that on the surface appear to have little risk involved, but actually are very risky.

Just this week I dealt with a very similar scam, involving Ghana, where the "trick" was to have an American Citizen open a special bank account and the scam worked like this. The individual in Ghana, sent a check to the party in this country for $10,000. with instructions to deposit it in the new bank account. Once that check was deposited and credited to the account, the individual was instructed to send $5,000. to the "crook" in Ghana to pay for some fictitious transfer & income tax related to a death where the "crook" was the beneficiary of the estate. That's where I came in, before the $5,000 check was sent (It was all set to go & the American had second thoughts about it & contacted me to see if I thought it was a legitimate transaction). The scam is that by the time the $5,000. check was forwarded to Ghana & cashed, after another week the original $10,000. check is charged back by the Ghana bank for Insufficient Funds. The American is instructed to send the $5,000. from another personal account if the $10,000. check has not cleared his bank.

So, if I were you I'd be very careful before I got involved with any financial transactions with a party you don't really know, particularly someone in Ghana.