How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3818
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in CA I have PTSD I get overwhelmed easily. 3 yrs ago

Customer Question

Hi I live in CA I have PTSD I get overwhelmed easily. 3 yrs ago I received a lump sum settlement from WC I'm receiving help from welfare medi cal only. Due to my PTSD I never reported it to welfare am I in trouble? I'm really concerned it didn't occur to me to report it for medi cal use it was 3 yrs ago please help me with this question. I'm stressing out badly it was a mistake on my part.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Under Medi-Cal-only, these payments are countable resources in the month you receive them. They will not affect MediCal-only eligibility if your total countable resources do not exceed $2,000 at any time during the month you receive the payment.

If you receive Medi-Cal only, you have to tell the county welfare department about the income within 10 days after you receive it. For example, if you receive the payment on December 5, you must tell the county welfare department about it by December 15.

Based on the information you provided, this lump sum should have been reported 3 years ago when you received the settlement. You may want to contact them to set the record straight.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,