How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4677
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to get a copy of my income information?

Customer Question

I have lost all of my 2015 tax information. I had an extension, which expires tomorrow. What is my best option now? How can I get a copy of my 2015 income information for my wife and myself to file before the deadline that I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Do you owe or you are expecting a refund?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. I just need to get a copy of my 2015 earning statement for my wife and myself.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way is to get IRS transcript. It will take you about 15 to set up your account, but your wife will have to get her own.

Transcript looks little different than actual tax forms but it will have all information you will need to prepare your federal tax return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need immediate access to the IRS to get my information.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

That's the only way. You can request your transcripts over the phone but it will take few days to get them. The IRS will also fax transcripts to registered tax professionals but not individuals. Using the link I provided you can have your transcripts within half an hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

If you owe any taxes, you are already late. Extension is only for filing, not paying.

If you are due a refund, it does not matter if you miss the deadline because all penalties and interest is calculated from balance due. If you do not owe anything, there will be no penalties, even if you file in December.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
You can get your tax transcript for 2015 online from IRS. is the link.
IRS had taken this down because it was hacked some months ago, but it appears to be back operating. Once you sign up and prove your identity, all the information IRS received from reporters, like w-2, 1099 and more, are immediately available, in time for a timely filing by Monday's 1040 extended due date