How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15716
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to amend Form 8832?

Customer Question

We filed Form 8832 to go from being treated as a single member LLC to an association with the eligible entity having only one owner. As it turns out, the eligible entity had more than one owner and we should have requested to be treated as a partnership. Is there anyway to amend the original filed Form 8832 to reflect the fact that we wanted to be treated as a partnership? We have already received approval to be treated as an association to be taxed as a corporation effective 01/01/16.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
You can make a request to keep your default classification (partnership). Correspondence may be received indicating Form 8832 was filed in error and that you want to default to the classification of partnership (a multi member LLC is a partnership by default). This request must be received by the due date of the initial tax return. Send the document to the same IRS service center that processed the original election. There is no official form to terminate the election. The letter should be titled "Revocation of Corporation Status" and include a statement about the circumstances.