Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have always checked the Material Participation box in the

Customer Question
past. When I do that...
I have always checked the Material Participation box in the past. When I do that for 2015 it is reducing my refund? Why is this happening? Do I need to change some setting somewhere in Turbo Tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/14/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What participation box are you talking about? Schedule E, Schedule C or something else?

Also can you preview the return and tell me what is changing? Your AGI? Your deductions or credits?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Material participation is checked for 2015 as it was for 2014 and the previous years.This question is related to Schedule E. For some reason I did not have Schedule E Material participation checked. When I checked the refund number at the top of TurboTax went down. I don't know what it changing internally. All I know is that gross refund is changing.

It could be several reasons. Where the income on Schedule E is coming from? Rental income or K1? What's the Schedule E outcome? Profit or loss?

The refund could change because your AGI increased, type of income/loss has changed, higher AGI changed your deduction or disallowed a credit, or if the income on Schedule E is from partnership K1 it could be self-employment tax.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The K1 income is negative. I don't think it is going through Schedule E. Also, the Schedule E is not going through Schedule C.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Clarification:The K1 income is negative. I don't think that the K1 income is going through Schedule E.Also, the Schedule E is not going through Schedule C. Why not?

K1 always goes through Schedule E and schedule E never goes through schedule C. Schedule C is for profit and loss from business. If you have K1 income, it is from corporation or partnership.

What type of K1 do you have and what's reported on it? K1 usually reports more than just one item.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K1 is from S Corporation. It is showing loss from passive activity.

What is exactly reported on your K1 line 1 through 20? Can you upload it? Do you have anything else on Schedule E beside the K1 income? It may not be the K1 that is changing your refund.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are two of them exactly like this because there are two partners in the corporation, me and wife.

this does not show how it affects your income. It is not the self-employment tax so it must be your AGI or one of the credits or deductions claimed. But without a return or at least know how it is changing the return is hard to say. There could be dozen of reason why. Tax return is a complex set of calculations and change in your income or type of income can affect several deductions or credits, or even generate certain penalties.

I am sorry. I do not know. I will opt out and have somebody else help you.

Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. Since the first expert opted out, I can assist.

The best way to assist is to review the return you prepared. I'll make an Offer to assist.

Since the filing deadline is coming up, I ask that my Offer be accepted or rejected by 12:00 noon EST so I have time to receive your return pages, review the issue, and advise, this afternoon.

I looked at the Turb**** K-1 worksheet you posted, and I see some of the reasons for your errors. Just not all.

Since I really need to review the rest of the return to see the second half of your filing errors, and my noon EST deadline was not met, I will opt out.

Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Just saw the expert opt out. Do you need any help with this? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you help with this issue?This is what I have gathered so far.My K1 is passive--that is no material participation--income.My Scheduled E rental income was entered as no material participation.If I check the material participation in Schedule E then my tax liability increases.I am trying to figure out if passive loss in K1 is offestting passive gain in Schedule E?I have a hunch that this is what is going on as if I reduce my expenses thus increasing the net income in Schedule E the tax refund does not increase.However, if I check material participation (active income) then the tax refund is reduced.

Hi. Just want to confirm. Is the Schedule E (rental property) business separate from the business reflected on the K-1? Thank you.

If you did not mark the material participation option on your Schedule E, you can use passive losses against passive income. If you marked material participation in Schedule E - your passive losses cannot be used, since Schedule E income would be considered ordinary income.

I have just received your attachments - the answer is above. Let me know if you have any questions.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney