Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife holds dual citizenship in both Ecuador and the US.

Customer Question
Hi there. My wife...
Hi there. My wife holds dual citizenship in both Ecuador and the US. She sold a piece of land in Ecuador and paid taxes there and we were told she would not need to pay taxes here in the U.S. Is this true?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: It was a piece of property she held for 40+ years and sold probably 2 years ago. Undeveloped land
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I believe she paid around $1400 for the property and sold it for $400,000
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/13/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still there?

Yes, I am sorry. I had to step away.

As a US citizen you are required to pay tax on your world wide income. Therefore you would need to report the gain from the sale of the land. You would receive a tax credit for any taxes that you paid on the Sale.

Does your wife have any or have control of any accounts in Ecuador that have $10,000 or more in them?

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor