How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1963 I file my income tax, and never got my money, how

Customer Question

in 1963 I file my income tax, and never got my money, how can I find out if this money is on file
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: that was the year that my husband die, and I moved in with my sister,so there was a change in address
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: yes how can I get this money
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The IRS does not keep track of checks that had not been cashed. If you did not get it and did not notify the IRS withing a year or so, the IRS will assume you got it and cashed it. This is more than 50 years ago and the IRS does not usually keep the records for so long. And even if there's some record of it somewhere, the IRS will not issue you a new check after 50+ years. I am sorry.