Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I am self employed and travel for business. Am I allowed to

Customer Question

I am self employed and travel for business. Am I allowed to expense or deduct my meals on the first and last day of my trip. For example, I leave my home office on Tuesday morning and fly back home on Thursday. Can I expense meals on all three days. I keep track of actual expenses and do not use the per diem rates. Thanks for your help. I know meals are only 50% deductible on my taxes.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

If you use the actual expenses you could expense the meals on each of the three days. Of course the expense needs to be reasonable.