Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I take an early withdrawal from an IRA, does the IRS tax

Customer Question
me at my current tax...
If I take an early withdrawal from an IRA, does the IRS tax me at my current tax rate or do they put me in a new tax bracket and tax me based on my normal income plus the distribution?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help you with this.

...

If you take an EARLY (before age 59 age 1/2) there are two pieces to this.

...

First, the withdrawal amount is added to your taxable income for that tax year.

...

So it MAY put you into a higher tax bracket so that SOME of the withdrawal would be taxed at that highe rate.

...

For example, here are the tax brackets for a single filer

...

Internal Revenue Code section 1(c)]

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $9,075, plus
  • 15% on taxable income over $9,075 to $36,900, plus
  • 25% on taxable income over $36,800 to 89,350, plus
  • 28% on taxable income over $89,350 to $186,350, plus
  • 33% on taxable income over $186,350 to $405,100, plus
  • 35% on taxable income over $405,100 to $406,750, plus
  • 39.6% on taxable income over $406,750.

...

So as you can see... if your other income for the year already had you at taxable income of 89,350, (making your next dollar of income for that year taxed at 28%) you could still withdraw (186350 - 89350) = 97000 and all of it would be taxed at the 28% bracket

...

Then the 10% penalty tax for withdrawing before age 59 and 1/2 will always just be 10% of the withdrawal amount.

...

So in this example that 97000 would be taxed at a total of 38% plus states taxes if any.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, a Masters Degree, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS