How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved from Puerto Rico on August 2015 to Florida. All my

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I moved from Puerto Rico on August 2015 to Florida. All my income comes from PR because I have a business there. Where do I file my 2016 tax return?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Did you receive my question?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Forgive the bot. My name's Lane ... I can help here


I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, for clients on three continents since 1986…

Please bear with me for a moment, while I prepare your response.


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

If you are a US Citizen, the, as you likely know, all of your worldwide income is taxable, regardless of where you are.


If you are not a citizen (if you pass the substantial presence test, by being in the US for 180 days) then you are still considered a US TAX resident an all worldwide income is taxed.


If you are not a citizen, and did not become a TAX resident, by passing the substantial presence test, then you will file a different tax form (1040NR), NR standing for non-resident, and only be taxed on the income that you received while IN the US.


Any time your are present in the US, then the income you generate from your business is considered "US source Income."

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

You may want to look at this chart, as it relates to whether your income (as a non-resident) is US or Foreign Source income.