Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

MY HUSBAND WAS NOT PAYING HIS TAXES AND WAS FOUND OUT BY THE

Customer Question
IRS. HE MADE AN PAYMENT...
mY HUSBAND WAS NOT PAYING HIS TAXES AND WAS FOUND OUT BY THE IRS. HE MADE AN PAYMENT ARRANGEMENT AND DIED SHORTLY THERE AFTER. THE IRS IS HOLDING ME RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEBT AND HAS PUT IT IN A HOLD BECAUSE i DO NOT GET VERY MUCH MONEY. i CURRENTLY LIVE IN AN RV AND IT IS NOT IN VERY GOOD SHAPE . i WANT TO TAKE MONEY OUT OF MY RETIREMENT TO BUY A PLACE TO LIVE BUT AM AFRAID THAT THE IRS WILL JUST TAKE IT.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/10/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi, I'm sorry to hear of the troubles ... I can help. My name's Lane

...

There re a couple of things that come to mind:

...

(1) One of the forms of innocent spouse relief: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc205.html, and

(2) An Offer in compromise.

...

Since 2012 the IRS has been much more willing to compromise with taxpayers with overwhelming tax debt than in the prior decade. IRC §7122 permits the IRS to accept offers in compromise (OIC) in settlement of tax obligations for less than the full outstanding tax liabilities

...

You can read more about the OIC here:https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc204.html

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

...

If you like, I can make an offer for a phone consult to explain how these things might work.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS