Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Closing cost on our main residence is this tax deductible,

Customer Question
closing cost on our main...
closing cost on our main residence is this tax deductible
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: we sold our home in Cincinnati ohio in july of 2015 we needed to repair numerous items from the inspections in order to sell at a very reduce price, these were in the neighborhood of $12000. are expenses deductible in 2015?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: we had built the home back in 1991 for $750,000.(8000 sq ft 3 story all brick hose)and had the home inured for $1,250,000. replacement costs less the lots. lots were $125.000. 1991.house appraised by outside independent source in early 2014 for $825,000. We sold house after being on market for 2 years for $605,000. can we take a loss on this amount just as if it was the opposite and was sold for a profit of $500,000. IRS would want to tax 0n this amount.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The amounts you pay to sell reduce your selling price. If you sell for less then your cost (plus improvements) and you used the home for a personal residence (or even a second home) you are not allowed to use the loss unfortunately.

Almost everything you own and use for personal or investment purposes is a capital asset. Examples include a home, personal-use items like household furnishings, and stocks or bonds held as investments. When you sell a capital asset, the difference between the adjusted basis in the asset and the amount you realized from the sale is a capital gain or a capital loss.

You are correct that if you sell for a gain you generally are taxed on the gain (with the exception of your main home under IRC 121 you can exclude up to $500,000 of gain if married). Losses from the sale of personal-use property, such as your home or car, are not tax deductible.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

I am checking back with you to see if you required more assistance on calculating the sale.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Full of CRAP

I understand. The tax rules are not forgiving and are unbalanced for fairness.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4