Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We are building a barn for our vineyard; the basic structure

will be completed soon....
We are building a barn for our vineyard; the basic structure will be completed soon. We will be adding furniture to a living area (kitchen equipment, and beds), work benches, lighting fixtures, vineyard related equipment (crusher, press, buckets, etc.). Will any of the above not qualify for deduction under Sec 179 (total expected to under $500,000 in 2016). Also, we will be doing some landscaping around the barn; will this qualify under Sec 179.
Thank you
10/7/2016
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Parts of this will qualify for section 179 expense treatment. The items that would be included in section 179 expense are kitchen equipment (refrigerator, stove, etc.), work benches, vineyard related equipment (crusher, press, buckets, etc.)

The lighting fixtures and the construction of the barn would not qualify for section 179 treatment. Of course you would need to meet the other qualifications to be able to claim the expense.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor