Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The only question I have asked i "I was a victim of a scam

Customer Question
last year, how do I...
The only question I have asked i "I was a victim of a scam last year, how do I report a loss on TurboTax." and I have already paid your fee!
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What else would you possibly want to Know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I called the Turbo Tax help number and I got you people.... should I be talking to someone else?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/6/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I've already answered this:

...

Let me paste in the answer from the first time you asked ... I went back to see if you hhad responded or neede help and the question was closed.

...

This is reported as a casualty/theft loss (the form is used for both) on form 4684 "Casualties and Thefts."

...

Here's what the form looks like:

...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4684.pdf

...

In TurboTax, ... jump to the entry area for casualty loss:

• Enter casualty loss in the TurboTax search box and press the Enter key.
  • On the Stolen or Damaged Items screen, click Yes.
  • Answer the interview questions describing your event.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS