Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Grandparents have custody as parents of grandchildren during

Customer Question
Grandparents have custody as foster...
Grandparents have custody as foster parents of grandchildren during 11 months of 2015. They do not qualify (for a couple of reasons like not providing more than 50% support). Grandparents did pay for child care expenses however and would qualify under all other criteria to take the child care credit. However, since the grandchildren are not dependents on the tax return, would the grandparents be able to claim the child care credit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/6/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Unfortunately to be able to claim the child tax credit the child would need to be a dependent.

Here is information from the IRS regarding the child tax credit. https://www.irs.gov/uac/ten-facts-about-the-child-tax-credit

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, I said child care credit but I meant to say dependent care credit on form 2441.

I believe that the dependent care credit also has a dependent requirement. Give me a moment to verify this.

To qualify for the dependent care credit the individual would need to be a dependent. Below are the qualifications.

A qualifying individual for the child and dependent care credit is:

• Your dependent qualifying child who is under age 13 when the care is provided,
  • Your spouse who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care and lived with you for more than half of the year, or
  • An individual who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care, lived with you for more than half of the year, and either: (i) is your dependent; or (ii) could have been your dependent except that he or she has gross income that equals or exceeds the exemption amount, or files a joint return, or you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) could have been claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2015 return.
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor