How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2309
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Married in Dec 2015. In error my wife filed her 2015

Customer Question

Married in Dec 2015. In error my wife filed her 2015 personal taxes as MFS before April 15th deadline. I filed an extension and then had her file an amendment to her return in Aug 2016 to indicate we (she) is filing MFJ and of course added all my income to this now joint return. Along with the amendment documents I also attached a check paying the entire calculated balance owed after adjusting the amended return. For some reason the IRS returned the entire amount back I paid, without any explanation or documentation? How can I remake a payment that ensures it gets applied to our joint amended return. The amended return shows it's in a received pending status, but want the payment made and correctly applied now so I don't continue to incur penalties and interest? If I make on IRS online direct payment and indicate 1040x will it get applied correctly even though the amendment is in pending status?Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The easiest way to make a payment is on the IRS website. If the amount comes from your bank account the is no charge. This is a convenience fee if you use a credit card. You will be able to apply the payment to the correct period.