Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need to amend my friend taxes. She filed MFJ her husband

Customer Question
is USA citizen but she...
I need to amend my friend taxes. She filed MFJ her husband is USA citizen but she did not include his income. He has his business in Saudi + he is an employee in Saudy. I doubt they get W2 forms. What do I need to ask just the amount of income to be reported? Which forms do I file ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
10/4/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Yes, your assumption is good. YOu simply need to know the amount of wages if he is an employee.

...

If he is SELF-employed and receives payment as a contractor, you need a schedule C (and his business expenses)

...

But if he is an amployee, you'll just add the wages to line 7

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any particular forms that I need to fill out since he lived abroad all year? There is exception on income earned abroad? Is he going to be subject to all the taxes in USA ?

The hurdle for FEIE (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) are rather high, if he wasn't there ALL year.

...

Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion - Requirements

To claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, you must have foreign earned income, your tax home must be in a foreign country, and you must be one of the following:

• A U.S. citizen who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year,
  • A U.S. resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect and who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
  • A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.

...

https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-2555

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS