How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2308
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is going into real estate and he could make

Customer Question

My husband is going into real estate and he could make 50,000 on one commission, how much of that should he set aside for taxes. He doesn't think any because we are filing jointly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your question. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

If your husband makes a commission of $50,000 you are absolutely correct that he should set aside money for estimated payments. Let's assume that you are in the 25% tax bracket for federal taxes. If your husband does not have any other wages or earned income then the income he generates from the real estate activity would be subject to self employment taxes. Self employment taxes are 15.3% of the first $118,500 of earned income.

So if you assume that your husband generates a taxable profit of $50,000. This would be subject to self-employment taxes of 15.3%, federal income tax of 25%, and California State tax (estimate 10%). At a taxable income of $50,000 you are looking at a combined tax rate of 50%. Of course if you are in a lower tax bracket the burden would be lower and if you are in a higher tax bracket the tax burden will be higher.