Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can my wife and I file separately and both take a home

Customer Question
owners exemption on two different...
Can my wife and I file separately and both take a home owners exemption on two different houses?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I owned a condo myself and got married. My wife owns her home. Can we sell both in one year and get and exemption for both?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Let me get a little more information before I answer your question. How long have you owned the properties?

You would be able to claim the property taxes and mortgage interest on both properties.

Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. Another expert here. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to clarify it for you.

Each of you can use ONE 250K capital gains exclusion every two years. How you use it is up to you. If you sell both homes in the same year, each of you can exclude up to 250K on your own homes or use 500K on one home and ho exclusion on another, but combined you cannot exclude more than 500K on your joint return (or 250K if you file separate returns).

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser