Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I report the K1 money given to the owner of a

Customer Question
business on to the books...
How can I report the K1 money given to the owner of a business on to the books? I use quick books for accounting.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

I'm not sure if you represent the partnership or the owner of the partner interest. I'll look at both sides.

The partnership can set up contra equity accounts called distributions-Smith for Smith's check. Debit distributions, credit cash when the check is issued.

If you are the investor, you credit your investment account and debit cash when you get a check.

Note that neither side recognized income or loss when the payment is issued.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am the owner of a business and at the end of the year, I report the profit on K1 and issue myself and that amount I report on to my personal income tax. So when I report it on my personal taxes how should it be shown on my quick books?

When you bought it for 1000:

Debit to investment. 1000

Credit cash 1000

When you get a distribution of $350:

Debit cash. 350

Credit investment. 350

When your k-1 comes in, stating you earned 500 income:

Debit investment. 500

Credit interest, rent, other income. 500

At year end, your basis in the investment is correct at 1150, and you recorded the 500 income.

Customer/p>
PDtax
PDtax