Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I just filed taxes for 2015 for the first time; however, I

Customer Question

I just filed taxes for 2015 for the first time; however, I did not know that my parents had claimed me on their 2015 taxes as well. I am wondering if this will be a problem.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: More?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am not sure
Category: Tax
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Great Question. Did you take a deduction for yourself? If yes, your parents will probably get a notice from the tax department that they cannot claim you; they can amend their return, as well, before they receive the notice.

Deduction, meaning a personal exemption.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did not take a deduction for myself. After I learned that they had claimed me, I did some research and saw that I would not actually have to file taxes if I made less than a certain amount. I only made around $1,500.

Then, you are both fine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. So the taxes that I filed today, what would happen with that?

Hi. Just to confirm that you sent out your tax forms.

Also - were you on extension? If not, you may owe interest and penalty, if you had taxes you owed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I sent out the tax forms. I got an Email saying that the IRS accepted my Federal income tax return, then I was informed that I was claimed on my parents taxes as a dependent. I was not on an extension because I had earlier been informed that I WAS claimed as a dependent, then that claim was retracted and I was told that I would need to file on the income I earned, then the mis information was settled and proven after I filed today. It was a very sloppy and confusing process...

Hi. Here are the rules:

If you have both earned and unearned income, you must file a return (2016 and 2015) if:

• unearned income was over $1,050
  • earned income was over $6,300, or
  • earned and unearned income together total more than the larger of (1) $1,050, or (2) total earned income (up to $6,300) plus $350.

If you only have earned income must file a return only if the total is more than $6,300 in 2015.

The $1,500 earned income - if you have only earned income and no unearned income (interest, etc.) - you really are not required to file a return, unless you want to get some of your tax witholdings back.

Also - if you did not claim any exemption - you are fine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. This is making more sense. I did not claim any exemption and I did not have tax with holdings because I was working as an independent contractor. However, when I filed I was told that owed federal taxes. Do I still owe even though I was not required to file?