How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Domestic company is wholly owned by a foreign corporation.

Customer Question

domestic company is wholly owned by a foreign corporation. Parent invested in the domestic co. Do we file form 5472 with the tax return? if so which line should reflect the investment amount
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

1) Yes. You need to file Form 5472.

2) The tax return shows the balance sheet of the company. The Form 5472 is on the percentage of ownership and related parties for ownership.



Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a wholly owned subsidiary. How should I report the money invested in the reporting Co? There is no trade between two. Parent sent money as an investment. In fact, the owner of the parent got a e2 investor visa with that
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The balance sheet of the company shows the equity of the owner, the foreign corporation.

Shareholder by definition investment money in the corporation. The form 5472 serves the purpose.

When you use Form 5472, the size of equity on the balance sheet shows the investment.

Money coming to the U.S. is much welcomed. The money going overseas is much more restricted in its reporting requirement in general.

There is nothing wrong with the E visa obtained by the investor. If they have E Visas, the U.S. government know about them and their role of investment already. The more the merrier from the U.S. government's viewpoint.

The IRS has a program to welcome international visitors coming here for investment purpose.



Related Tax Questions