How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18-year old daughter started college this year and my

Customer Question

My 18-year old daughter started college this year and my ex-wife and I are splitting the cost of her tuition expenses. Is there anyway we can both write off the $4000 tuition costs on our taxes or is it limited to the person who's claiming them for that year?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If she was a full time college student one of you may qualify for $2500 credit, which is far better than 4K deduction. Unfortunately, only one of you can claim education benefits, the one who will claim her. The EDU credit goes with the exemption, which means whoever claims the exemption for her can claim the credit/or deduction.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?