Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do I pay income tax on 15% of an Ex’s retirement money that I received?

Customer Question
I have a settlement from...
I have a settlement from a QDRO in the State of Florida I can now access. I got 15% of my ex’s retirement. When I access the money, do I pay income tax on it? I want to make a cash withdrawal from this account. When I do, do I need to pay income tax as it is a divorce settlement
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/27/2016
Tax Professional: Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney

Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

Assets distributed from a qualified plan in accordance with a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) are exempted from the 10% early-distribution penalty but you will be subject to tax withholding even if you are under age 59½. To avoid the penalty, the following criteria must be met:

(1) The retirement plan must be a qualified plan covered by ERISA (e.g. 401K and other Defined Contribution Plans);

(2) The funds must be paid to an alternative payee, not the owner of the account; and

(3) A Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) must be created and used to divide the plan

Because the qualified plan assets you receive pursuant to a QDRO are rollover eligible, amounts that are paid directly to you instead of to an eligible retirement plan through a direct rollover will be subject to mandatory withholding. This withholding is 20% for federal taxes. The amount paid is taxable income to you, so you will pay as if it is normal income to you in your normal tax bracket.

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney