How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just started a new single member LLC and filed for S-corp

Customer Question

I just started a new single member LLC and filed for S-corp status for tax purposes..
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: does my income have to be payed you my LLC EIN to take advantage of this
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: currently my income comes to me thru my personal SSN as 1099
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

A single member LLC without S/C Cor election is disregarded entity for tax purposes, meaning the owner and the business is the same entity. As such it doesn't mater if the income is received under EIN or your SS#. However, single member LLC with S corp election is a separate entity and business income MUST be reported with EIN number. If you are receiving income with your SS#, the income will be treated as solo proprietor income, not S-copr income and you will have to file Schedule C for that income.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

In addition, once Scorp status is granted (you will receive a letter from the IRS), you will have to treat yourself as employee of your own corporation, meaning you will have to receive a paycheck from your Scorp. If the income is coming to you, instead of your Scorp, your business will not be able to make quarterly payroll payments.

Any questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will need to send in payroll taxes quarterly to the IRS based on the paychecks I pay myself during the preceding Quarter?
and withhold FICA FUTA ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can I figure out my pay check at the end of the year when I file my corp tax return...which is due in March? and then I do my personal return in April
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Yes, that's correct. You will need to file quarterly payroll return and pay payroll taxes. You cannot pay it all in April.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

You have to treat yourself as employee of your own corporation. If your payroll taxes are less than $1000 (you paid yourself less than $6500), you may not need to file quarterly payroll returns, instead you can file annual payroll return and pay all payroll taxes by January 31. But this is only for federal FICA and FUTA. Most states will not give you the option and require quarterly filing.