How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a federal employee retired last year. As part of my

Customer Question

Hi! I am a federal employee retired last year. As part of my retirement income I received a partial distribution in a lump sum of my TSP. They withheld me federal income taxes but nothing of Puerto Rico income taxes. Do I have to declare this income in the Puerto Rico income tax return?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Well it was a partial but significant amount ($80,000) which I understand it will place me in a High Tax Bracket and there is where I am confused.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

Your TSP withdrawal may be subject to Federal income taxes. The tax treatment of your withdrawal depends on the type of balance (traditional (non-Roth), Roth, or both) from which your withdrawal is taken as well as the type of withdrawal option(s) that you choose. If you had a traditional then you would have to pay taxes if it was a Roth then you would not as you already paid taxes. If so, yes you would have to declare it on your income taxes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is that if I am a bonafide resident of Puerto Rico and I have to declare a Puerto Rico tax return how I am suppose to tax that type of income in Puerto Rico.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

"All pension plans covered by ERISA, including dual-qualified plans, are required to file a Form 5500-series return. Plans that are qualified in Puerto Rico and not in the U.S. should include on line 8 the plan characteristic code 3C - Plan not intended to be qualified under Internal Revenue Code Sections 401, 403 or 408. Enter 3J for U.S.-based plans that cover Puerto Rican residents and are qualified under both the Internal Revenue and Puerto Rico Codes.

All plans that have participants in Puerto Rico must file Form 480.70 with the Hacienda." See IRS link:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still do not have a response of mu question. As indicated I am a retire federal employee. One of my retirement income is the Thrift Saving Plan (TSP). From that TSP I retired a significant part (but not the total) of the amount saved in my TSP. I am aware that I have to declare that income in my IRS tax return. My question is how it is taxable in my Puerto Rico Tax Return.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

In general, the two codes (Puerto Rico and US) apply to income generated in their respective states. However, both Puerto Rico and the US tax the global income of their residents. This means that Puerto Rico residents with US source income and US residents with Puerto Rico source income will be double taxed on that income. Fortunately, both allow a tax credit for taxes paid to the source on such income: the US for Puerto Rico source income, and Puerto Rico for US source income. This credit is calculated on Form 1116 for a US tax return, and Schedule C for a Puerto Rico return. So you would file the US income (if you are a resident of Puerto Rico as normal income and then get a tax credit in Schedule C of US income from the TSP) on your Puerto Rico tax return.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.