Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

ARE SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS RECEIVED TAXABLE? IF SO, ARE

Customer Question
ARE SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS RECEIVED...
ARE SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS RECEIVED TAXABLE? IF SO, ARE ALL TAXABLE?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits.

Your filing status along with half your benefits and all your other income determines if you pay tax on some of your benefits. This is your combined income mentioned below.

No one pays federal income tax on more than 85 percent of his or her Social Security benefits based on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules. If you:

• file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

• file a joint return, and you and your spouse have acombined income* that is
    • between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
    • more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

Your adjusted gross income + Nontaxable interest + ½ of your Social Security benefits = Your "combined income"

You do that calculation then look to your filing status to see if you must include some of your benefits as taxable on the 1040.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4