Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I HAVE A FEDERAL EXCISE TAX QUESTIONS. WE SELL HEAVY DUTY…

I HAVE A FEDERAL...

I HAVE A FEDERAL EXCISE TAX QUESTIONS. WE SELL HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS AND I WANT TO KNOW IF A PRE-PAID MAINTENANCE PLAN IS EXEMPT FROM EXCISE TAX, I KNOW THAT A WARRANTY IS EXEMPT BUT NOT SURE ABOUT MAINTENANCE PLANS?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I DON'T THINK SO.

9/22/2016
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

The excise tax is described as follows and as an excise tax applies to tangible property, not any services such as a Pre-Paid Maintenance Plan. See below:

"The federal excise tax (FET) is a 12% sales tax imposed on the first retail sale of truck, trailer, and semitrailer chassis and bodies, and tractors (trucks over 33,000 lbs. GVWR, tractors with a GVWR over 19,500 lbs. and have a gross combined weight, in combination with a trailer or semitrailer, of 33,000 lbs. or less and trailers over 26,000 lbs). The funds derived from the FET are deposited in the Highway Trust Fund HTF)."

Thanks very much for using JustAnswer.com

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my portion of the payment that you have already made to the site.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert