Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The Ymca is a 501c3 non-profit organization in Pa. There is

Customer Question
The Ymca is a...
The Ymca is a 501c3 non-profit organization in Pa. There is one located in Havertown, PA. Are they exempt from paying real estate taxes. They are leasing a property in Havertown they do not own the property or building
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/22/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help here.

...

Yes, 501(c)(3)'s are, generally, exempt from paying property taxes.

...

In Pennsylvania, an agency is exempt only if it is a "purely public charity," which is stated in the Pennsylvania Constitution. To qualify as a "purely public charity" under Pennsylvania law, an organization must:

1) Advance a charitable purpose; 2) donate or render gratuitously a substantial portion of its services; 3) benefit a substantial and indefinite class of persons who are legitimate subjects of charity; 4) relieve the government of some of its burden; and 5) operate entirely free from private profit motive.

....

But property taxes are paid by the owner, so if you are asking about a lease that passes the property tax liability through to the tennant, in THIS case it's very possible that the non-profit WOULD pay th property ax as a part of its lease. ... becasue the Owner is NOT exempt, and the property tax is just one component of the lease cost.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney