Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My company was recently sold and I am unable to contribute

Customer Question
to my pre-tax 401K with...
my company was recently sold and I am unable to contribute to my pre-tax 401K with the new company until next year. This leaves 3 full months of additional income that I will be taxed on. Is there anything I can do to move this money pretax to another place?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/20/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. I can help you here ... My name's Lane.

...

You can certainly roll the money to a traditional IRA, if the old plan allows it.

...

You can see that from this IRS rollover chart: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

...

I can help you nwith the forms, if you like.

...

And on contributing to something pre-tax, you MAY be able to deduct 5500 (6500 for someone over age 50) to an IRA on a pre-tax basis.

...

But because you have been covered (contributed to, or had money contributed for you, into a workplace plan this year) there is an income limitation that may limit the deductibility of a traditional IRA

...

For a single filer or head of household filer if income is $61,000 or less you still get a full deduction - more than $61,000 but less than $71,000 there is a partial deduction and above 71,000 the contribution to an IRA is not deductible.

...

For joint filers if income is less than $98,000 or less the contribution is full deductible, more than $98,000 but less than $118,000 you get a partial deduction, and $118,000 or more the contribution is not deductible.

...

But again, yes you can ALWAYs roll the existing dollars in the old plan (do a trustee to trustee transfer) to an IRA AND (if the new plan allows it (most do) roll the dollars into the new plan.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise I receive no crediting for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS