How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15605
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently passed away and i was wondering if you

Customer Question

my husband recently passed away and i was wondering if you could tell me what tax rate he would be taxed at
1. Long service leave
2. Unused annual leave
3. Monthly wage owing to him
Also would I have to do a tax return for him for this money for 2016/2017
As well as he took ill early Jujne this year and did not do a tax return for 2016/2016
so what do I do about this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please accept my condolences. I sincerely ***** ***** information is helpful to you.

A deceased person's individual tax returns are prepared and lodged in the same manner as when they were alive:

  • The general individual tax rates with the full tax-free threshold apply if they are an Australian resident.
  • The Medicare levy and Medicare levy surcharge may also be payable.

Once you’ve notified ATO of your husband's death, you need to:

  • lodge a final Tax return for individuals (called a 'date of death tax return') on his behalf or advise ATO that a tax return is not necessary
  • lodge prior year Tax return for individuals for him.

In general you need to lodge a date of death tax return on behalf of the deceased person if they:

  • had tax withheld from the income they earned
  • earned taxable income exceeding the tax-free threshold
  • had tax withheld from interest or dividends because no TFN was quoted to the investment body
  • lodged tax returns in prior years (that is, for income years before the income year in which they died)
  • should have lodged tax returns in prior years.

You complete the Tax return for individuals form as if you were the deceased person and:

  • print the words ‘DECEASED ESTATE’ on the top of page one of the tax return
  • sign the tax return on behalf of the deceased person as their executor.