Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I just found an insurance check for hail damage in 07/2007

Customer Question

Hi, I just found an insurance check for hail damage in 07/2007 that was not cashed. Can I still get a new check issued now?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no but thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Hi. I can help you here. My name's Lane.

...

Generally the answer is yes. If you had a valid claim the insurance company must pay.

...

Do understand, however, that an insurance policy is a contract ... and it's POSSIBLE (highly unlikely) that there could be a provision in the contract (policy) that says the a check (even a replacement check) must be cashed within a certain time of the filing of the claim.

...

Although, this would be, in my experience, completely atypical - it's always possible ... as the policy simply represents an agreement between you and the insurance company as to the rights and duties of each of the parties.

...

THe easiest way to be sure before contact the comapny would be to read the contract.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all before rating me.

...

Lane

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But again, let me know if you need more here.

...

Lane