How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Situation is joint account in usa. Mother has us citizenship

Customer Question

Hello. Situation is joint account in usa. Mother has us citizenship and primary holder of account daughter non resident alien with french citizenship. Interest above 10 dollar a year. What are the reporting obligations to irs of the bank ? Are they required to send form 1046 to the irs ? Or just form 1099 to us citizen primary holder...concern with french tax implications. Thanks for your answer
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The joint account involve a us citizen as primary owner and non resident alien as secondary. The account was opened in the usa.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, the interest will be reported as income to ALL account holders. Which means, both 1046 and 1099 will be issued.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Any questions?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Althouth there is a statement in saying that if at least one account holder is us citizen it should be considered as a us account what does it mean then ?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Where are you reading it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am looking for it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you own the income or account jointly with one or more other persons, the income or account will be treated by the withholding agent as owned by a foreign person that is a beneficial owner of a payment only if Forms W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E are provided by all of the owners. If the withholding agent or financial institution receives a Form W-9 from any of the joint owners, however, the payment must be treated as made to a U.S. person and the account treated as a U.S. account.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that is what i found on irs
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

It only that the account is treated as owned by US person and is not subject to back up withholding.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you mean no witholding but still reporting ?
This is the answer of christophe b esq
he joint owner whose SSN was listed on the 1099 has to report all the income of his tax return. He must then deduct the shares of the other joint owners and make a note on the tax return. The note lists the other joint owners, their respective shares and their Social Security numbers and states that they will be reporting their share of the income on their tax returns. The recipient of the 1099 needs to send a copy to all joint owners, along with a breakdown of the income for each owner. So no, you should not receive a 1042 if you are not the primary holder of the account. The primary holder whose SS# ***** is listed on the 1099 will receive that and a 1042 should not be sent.i am just trying to understand since it is not my money but my mother added me in case she became seek and not able to withdraw money . i dont want to get in trouble because of this
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

I cannot comment what somebody else told you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok i understand so what shall i do now to protect myself since those funds are not mine ?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

If you are listed as account owner (primary or secondary) and have a free access to those funds, the funds are treated as belonged to both of you. You have to remove your name from the account.

Related Tax Questions