How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friendship Friends Meeting in Greensboro, NC has found it

This answer was rated:

Friendship Friends Meeting in Greensboro, NC has found it necessary to increase the size of our worship room. Friendship Friends Meeting is a Quaker Church. In asking a fund raiser who a church should contact to apply for a 501-c3 designation I was told that churches are recognized as 501-c3 and that by requesting a letter from the IRS to show that the church has that designation the IRS will furnish such a letter. If that is accurate how should Friendship Friends Meeting make a request and to whom should it be sent?
Thank you for information.
***** *****, Director
Friends Friends Meeting, Inc.
1301 New Garden Road
Greensboro, NC 27410

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

First of all, you'll want to obtain a copy of IRS Publication 1828, available online at the following link:

This will give you a lot of valuable information in connection with your dealings with the IRS.

As you know, the IRS considers Churches as automatically exempt under 501(c)(3). This status has it's roots in the US Constitution's provision of Separation of Church & State.

However, there are various reasons to obtain confirmation that any particular church qualifies for the exemption. As you know, that confirmation comes in the form of a letter from the IRS. This is the same letter that any 501(c)(3) organization receives once they file their application and it is approved.

To answer your initial questions, here's an excerpt from Publication 1828 referenced above:

Applying for Tax-Exempt Status
Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Every tax-exempt organization, including a church, should have an employer identification
number whether or not the organization has any employees. There are
many instances in which an EIN is necessary. For example, a church needs an EIN
when it opens a bank account, to be listed as a subordinate in a group ruling or if
it files returns with the IRS (for example, Forms W-2, 1099, 990-T).
An organization may obtain an EIN by filing Form SS-4, Application for Employer
Identification Number, according to its instructions.

If the organization is submitting:
IRS Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) of
the Internal Revenue Code, Form SS-4 should be included with the application.

Just checking in...............Do you have any follow-up questions, or may I assist you in any other way? If so, please let me know. I'll be happy to assist you until you are fully satisfied.

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment you already made to the site.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,

Steve G.

Stephen G. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you