How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rakhi.v Your Own Question
rakhi.v, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4545
Experience:  Have graduated in Law with specialization & emphasis in Financial Laws and has working experience of over a decade.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
rakhi.v is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a tax question. I am a corporation (of one) and my

Customer Question

This is a tax question. I am a corporation (of one) and my corporation owns stock, which it has had for the last 5 years. I am going to sell the stock and I expect to pay taxes at the capital gains rate. My question is this: how will my tax burden vary depending on whether I am a C or an S corporation? (I live in New York City, if that matters.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  rakhi.v replied 1 year ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

S Corp and C Corp create different tax liabilities if we talk about ordinary taxes or capital gains.

In C Corporation we encounter Double taxation of profits. Income is taxed first at the corporate level. Remaining profits are distributed as dividends and taxed again at the individual level. So long as S Corporations are concerned, Profits are passed through directly to shareholders, escaping corporate level tax.

Having said this, so far as capital gains are concerned, In C Corporations, Capital gains are taxed at the same level as ordinary income. In S Corp, Capital gains pass through to shareholders and are eligible for favorable capital gain tax rates for individuals.

The following is for your general reference and understanding.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,