How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3362
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a US permanent resident non-citizen living in Ca. My

Customer Question

I'm a US permanent resident non-citizen living in Ca. My parents are Japanese, live in Japan. They'd like to give me 100K dollars for a down pmt on a house. What are the tax implications if that gift?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, I'm a US green card holder, live and work in the US. My parents are Japanese and want to give me 100K dollars, that's all.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are a U.S. resident for tax purposes, you are required to REPORT the gift from your parents on Form 3520 if it is MORE THAN than $100,000. You will not pay tax on the gift.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,