How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3793
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to determine if a single member LLC for federal

Customer Question

Trying to determine if a single member LLC for federal purposes that is filing a schedule E for federal purposes is required to file a Utah form TC-65 LLC return and if so is that filing due to be filed today (9/15/16)?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: OK, just trying to see if a CA resident owning rental property through a Utah LLC generates both a Utah LLC (Form TC 65) and a non-resident individual Utah tax return filing requirement.. This will be a schedule E for federal tax return presentation purposes. Let me know. Thanks - Dan
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK please process ASAP as I believe the LLC filing is due today!
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Utah law recognizes businesses operating as limited liability companies (LLCs). LLCs follow the federal rules on how they will be taxed.

Since you are a single member LLC (sole proprietorship using Schedule E), you should file Utah Nonresident individual tax return and report your Utah source income.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the Utah LLC also required to file a Utah LLC return (form TC 65??). That was my main original question and it never got addressed. Let me know and thanks for the help!
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

I apologize if I was not clear in my response.

Because Utah follows the federal rules, your single member Utah LLC is NOT required to file Form TC-65.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,