Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

NM state just sent me an unsigned Notice OF Claim OF TAX

Customer Question
NM state just sent me...
NM state just sent me an unsigned Notice OF Claim OF TAX LIEN against my WA state property for income tax from 2001-2002 they say I owe.( tax 3795.00, Penalty 759.00, interest 4106.72.) Can they enforce a lien in WA. I have no NM property or residency now.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/13/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane. I can help you here.

...

So sorry, yes, they can. Whether they will or not is a different issue.

...

Recordiing the lien is not costly, but to sieze the propety they would have to satisfy all of the notice requirement, retain a WA attorney, and pay for court costs and the pay from soneone to execute the siezure.

...

What happens MOST times here, (nbecasue the costs to sieze are usually more than the tax revenue received) is simply let the lien sit there and then will be first in line (ahead of the mortgage company) to receive cash in the amount of the current debt, when you try to sell.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS