How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12047
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NM state just sent me an unsigned Notice OF Claim OF TAX

Customer Question

NM state just sent me an unsigned Notice OF Claim OF TAX LIEN against my WA state property for income tax from 2001-2002 they say I owe.( tax 3795.00, Penalty 759.00, interest 4106.72.) Can they enforce a lien in WA. I have no NM property or residency now.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Hi My name's Lane. I can help you here.


So sorry, yes, they can. Whether they will or not is a different issue.


Recordiing the lien is not costly, but to sieze the propety they would have to satisfy all of the notice requirement, retain a WA attorney, and pay for court costs and the pay from soneone to execute the siezure.


What happens MOST times here, (nbecasue the costs to sieze are usually more than the tax revenue received) is simply let the lien sit there and then will be first in line (ahead of the mortgage company) to receive cash in the amount of the current debt, when you try to sell.

Related Tax Questions