How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15720
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter filed her taxes in January. Head of Household,

Customer Question

My daughter filed her taxes in January. Head of Household, Married and filing seperate. Her husband was out of the country and they were going through a divorce. He comes back into the country and goes to file his taxes and finds out he can not use the kids social sercurity numbers as they have been already used. He then makes a letter stating she did not remember she okayed him to use 3 of the social sercurity numbers, which she never did. She has full custody of the children. He files his taxes in April and received a refund in may. She just ran across his tax papers with this letter that was typed and put with his taxes. She is upset. Her husband frauded IRS and she is afraid it is going to come back on her. Should she contact the IRS with all paper work and proof she has. The signature on his taxes and on this letter is not even his signature. She is really scared.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: She did not know any of this till she ran across the papers last night.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

As long as your daughter filed her own separate return and reported all her income and information correctly, she cannot be held responsible for his return.

If she claimed the children because they lived more in the year with her, he could not claim them and his return would have been denied (no letter with her name on it could have changed that).

She would have needed to amend her return and not claim the children as dependents on the amended return, for him to have been allowed them as dependents on his return.