How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15301
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter came to live with us Oct. 2015 and left for

Customer Question

My granddaughter came to live with us Oct. 2015 and left for college Ausut 27 2016 Can we clam her since we pay for her room and board, books, food everything she went to Blinn>
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

A child that is away at college is still seen as living with you, so as long as you meet the other requirements she can still be your dependent for tax purposes.

Let her know that if she works and needs to file not to claim her personal exemption as you will be doing that when you claim her as a dependent.

Related Tax Questions