Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My granddaughter came to live with us Oct. 2015 and left for

Customer Question
college Ausut 27 2016 Can...
My granddaughter came to live with us Oct. 2015 and left for college Ausut 27 2016 Can we clam her since we pay for her room and board, books, food everything she went to Blinn>
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/12/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A child that is away at college is still seen as living with you, so as long as you meet the other requirements she can still be your dependent for tax purposes.

Let her know that if she works and needs to file not to claim her personal exemption as you will be doing that when you claim her as a dependent.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4