Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am going back to school-an expensive ($23k) fast track IT

Customer Question
school. Tax wise: Should I borrow from...
I am going back to school-an expensive ($23k) fast track IT school.
Tax wise:
Should I borrow from my 401k knowing that I hope to leave my current employer and be taxed on the outstanding balance, or
Should I take a Salle Mae loan?
How are funds taxed that originate as a loan against the 401k?
What else should I consider?
Roger Ochs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/8/2016
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I would not take the 401k out. Unless you were staying with your employer, you could take out a loan from your 401k for education. The loan has an interest rate on it, but you are paying the interest back to yourself/your account. The loan is not taxed, unless you leave before the final payment is due. Then, it is taxed as a 401k withdrawal.

If you do leave your employer and do not take out a 401k loan, you can roll over the funds to an IRA (tax-free - within 60 days of when you leave).

I would check the interest rates on a Sallie Mae loan as well (website is https://www.salliemae.com/). Some other loans can be found on the following website:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you have any questions, let me know. If not, a positive rating is very much appreciated.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group