Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I got a message from someone claiming that they were going

Customer Question
through local law enforcement and...
I got a message from someone claiming that they were going through local law enforcement and have a warrant issued for my arrest. I tried calling back there was no option to leave a message. I was jobless until a couple of weeks ago and my husband kicked me out of our house in California . I will make arrangements to pass what is owed but with 3 children I just started a job making minimum wage and I had to move across the country most of my money was used for the move and hotel room for me and my girls. I have never spoken with this agent before, never seen a judge and don't know what to do.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I didn't mean to put accountant I meant me my phone auto corrected from a previous look up
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/8/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If this message involved tax collection then it is a scam.

The IRS sends letters and would not call you.

These callers may demand money or may say you have a refund due and try to trick you into sharing private information. These con artists can sound convincing when they call. They may know a lot about you, and they usually alter the caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling. They use fake names and bogus IRS identification badge numbers. If you don’t answer, they often leave an “urgent” callback request.

Here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or think you might owe, call the IRS at 1.***-***-****. The IRS workers can help you with a payment issue.
  • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to believe that you do, report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) at 1.***-***-**** or atwww.tigta.gov.
  • You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4