How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15301
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im leaving in NY (Queens) My house burn down .My insurance

Customer Question

Hi There Im leaving in NY (Queens) My house burn down .My insurance paid 350k My mortgage is 360k .every month i had to pay $3.500 If I use insurance money to pay for mortgage Do I had to pay tax on it ?( The house value is 800k before burn down )Property tax is $ 3500/year
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

The IRS doesn't count insurance payouts as income -- they're a reimbursement for the money or property value you lost.

If the amount you received in insurance or other reimbursement was more than the cost or other basis of the property, you have a taxable amount but generally no, this is not taxable even if you used it to pay mortgage.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

I hope that was clear but let me know.