Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I have a small pecan farm and sell a few

Customer Question
cattle. I help him...
My husband and I have a small pecan farm and sell a few cattle. I help him but all the income gets reported under his ss#, although my number appears on the joint tax return. I tried to file for disability and was told I had to have worked in the last 10 yrs. well, I have, for ourselves. I think this is wrong. How can I change it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a few moments to prepare a response.

I apologize for the delay. You could amend your prior returns 2013, 2014, and 2015 to split the income and expenses from the farm between you and your husband. If the farm generated more than $118,000 of income this may result in additional taxes. If the farm operations made less than this than there would not be any additional taxes. By splitting the income and expenses you would be able to show some earned income. There is a 3 year statute of limitation to amend a return. This is why I limited to 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I have to show income for the last 10 years...I'm screwed?

Yes, unfortunately you would only be able to amend the prior 3 years.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor