Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Planning to get married, but fiance's primary residence is

Customer Question
in Florida and mine is...
Planning to get married, but fiance's primary residence is in Florida and mine is in New York City where my apartment is covered by SCRIE. Can we file separately and would I still be eligible for SCRIE if my financial situation hasn't changed?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
9/5/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please include a link to view on my iPad instead of iPhone.

In order to satisfy the income eligibility requirement, your household income must be $50,000 or less.

You must report income for yourself and for all members of your household, including all family members who lived in your apartment the year.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/finance/downloads/pdf/brochures/scriedriebrochure.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know about the $50,000 etal that's in your response but you're not addressing my question in full. In wouldn't be accepted into SCRIE if I had over $50,000 in earned income which is only my social security of under $1,500/month.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you're not sure how getting married, AND having different primary addresses AND filing separately effects my SCRIE

Your address can be different from your spouse's. That would not disqualify you.

Your new spouse, if they stayed in the residence with you (at all) then their income is also added to your income.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't speak on the phone now. Could we do that at a later dat and do live chat only now?

If you received an offer to speak on the phone that was site generated and not specifically sent from me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His primary residence is in Florida where he'll be living approximately over 6 months in a year. He'll only be visiting me, but NOT staying/ living with me per se.

If you are married and your spouse stays with you in that specific residence then they will be seen as residing with you, even if just for a part time basis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am getting the "call me" button, but I can't speak over the phone now. I'm still not sure if your answer. I sometimes have friends and/or family "staying" over my apartment. You don't seriously think that they all have to be listed and are part of my "income."

Ignore that call offer.

Friends and family that come for a visit is different then a spouse.

I don't seriously think that they all have to be listed and are part of your "income."

Even having a roommate does not include their income but any amount a roommate paid for their share counts as part of your income for SCRIE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even if the spouse visits briefly over the year? (I can't text much longer as I'm staying at a friend's house and have get off my devices. Can we plan on speaking another time or should we cancel this just answer and not get charged?

Your spouse living with you even temporarily would be included.

You can come back to this thread anytime. It is not erased and will remain in your MY QUESTIONS section.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'll try to get back to you probably tomorrow or the next day. Is that OK?

You may post more then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will I be charged before finishing the chat?

I am not compensated for my time unless you rate in a positive way, any other questions about your agreement with JustAnswer is covered by customer service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will you be available to chat after today or do I get a different responder?

If you come back to this specific thread it goes to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great. I'll get back to you soonish. Thanks. ��

You are welcome

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4